Monday, April 23, 2012

Hexagon quilt is basted!

My friend Rissa and I spent a few days at our lake house and each of us worked on quilt projects.  The weather was quite cold when we were there, which was frustrating since we have had such a gorgeous warm spring.  Here's a pic of the redbud overlooking the lake.  The lake (which is a flood control lake) is at winter pool, which means it is 22 feet below normal (summer) pool.



 I worked on getting borders on the hexagon quilt and making the backing and getting it basted.  It was quite a project as the quilt with the borders is now 82" x 93" .  I ended up using the white on white dots from the Bliss line of fabrics by Bonnie and Camille.  I am a lover of dots and have collected all of the dots from this line (I love all colorways of it).  But I especially loved the white on white dots, I had been stashing the white on white for a year or so, buying them every time I saw them.  So I had 3 seperate pieces of what I thought would be big enough, but because I had cut small pieces out of them I had just barely enough to do the backing with 2 full widths of the fabric Whew!  I really love it on the back. 

 
This is an Iphone pic so the white looks a bit pink! 




Rissa helped me lay it all out and I spray basted the layers together.  Even with the two of us working it was a big job.  But it is all together and ready to be quilted.  I am planning to machine quilt it with a free motion flower design.  Hopefully it will highlight the hexagon "flowers". 




We had a nice relaxing few days away and got a lot accomplished.  Rissa made a super cute contemporary quilt.  I will share that on another post.  Here is a pic of a beautiful wildflower from the woods at the lake.   I do love this time of the year with all of the beautiful flowers and trees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment